The British Canoeing new leadership awards will align with the British Canoeing educational philosophy and support leaders to run safe, enjoyable, quality trips, based on their group’s needs and aspirations.
Key features and changes of the new awards include:
- Direct access to the environment you want to lead.
- No formal British Canoeing leadership training requirements
- Direct entry to assessments available
- Single day assessments, allowing more flexibility; reducing time and expenditure
- NEW disciplines: Paddlesport Touring Leader
- Canoe Leadership to be split into open water and white water
In line with these exciting changes the way we deliver Leadership Award Assessments will look quite different. We are giving you control of your assessment, your venue, your group, your trip.
How will this work?
If you would like to be assessed by us, where our availability permits, you tell us when you want to be assessed. You select the venue (at the top end of remit). You will organise a group to be led (the paddlers need to be of a standard where they need leading in that environment)
We will have a chat via Zoom before/during your planning to offer support where required. A few days before your assessment we will have another Zoom meeting where you will: present you trip plan, talk through your logbook and experience plus confirm your home nation registration. On the day of the assessment we will meet up where you will deliver a ½ day trip for your group. We will observe and ask the odd question. If it has not occurred naturally, we will ask to see rescues and possibly some personal paddling skills.
All assessments are 1-2-1 and mileage is worked from Hereford in most cases
Paddlesport Leader £230 + mileage over 50 miles
Paddlesport Touring Leader £230 + mileage over 50 miles
Canoe Leader (Moderate)
- Open water £170 + mileage over 50 miles
- Whitewater £170 + mileage over 50 miles
Sea Kayak Leader (moderate) £210 + mileage over 50 miles
Canoe Leader (Advance) 2 days
- Open water 2 days £275 + mileage over 50 miles
- Whitewater 2 days £275 + mileage over 50 miles
- Various craft and environments offered £180 + mileage over 50 miles per assessment
- Paddlesport Leader
- Paddlesport Touring Leader
- Open Water Canoe (moderate water)
- Whitewater Canoe (moderate water)
- Sea Kayak Leader
- Open Water Canoe (advanced water)
- Whitewater Canoe (advanced water)
- Guide endorsement trip observation
Available dates for Assessments
Please contact Sarah to get a date that works for you and us. Other Leadership award assessments are also available please ask.
We understand some people will be looking for training; either from a structured course, or to meet the needs identified in an individuals development plan or action plan.
Please contact us for further information including dates.
National Association Delivery Centre Registration
In order to become an Instructor, Coach, Leader or Raft Guide, British Canoeing Awarding Body require candidates to register with their National Association Delivery Centre, ahead of training/assessment once you meet the prerequisites. This is completed through their membership portal.
For Registration Costs, please see the ‘Regulated and Non-Regulated Course Fees’ document.
British Canoeing Awarding Body provider fees are included within the advertised individual course fees.